Umkumbe Safari Lodge
6 hour drive from Johannesburg to the lodge. Fly from Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town to Nelspruit, Johannesburg/Cape Town to Hoedspruit or Skukuza Airport and get a road transfer to the camp.
7 x Standard Chalets
5 x Superior Suites
ABOUT UMKUMBE SAFARI LODGE
Umkumbe Safari Lodge has 12 rooms and can sleep up to 30 guests. Five of the rooms are Superior Suites and suitable for families with children as they have extra sleeper couches. There are also rooms with inter-leading doors. The rooms all have small verandahs with table and chairs enabling. There is a indoor lounge with couches on which to relax, as well as a snooker table. An outdoor sitting area has views of the Sand River and a help yourself tea & coffee station. There are two dining areas, one being the boma and the other an outdoor area under thatch. The bar is fully stocked and guests are encouraged to help themselves via an honesty bar service. The lodge does have wifi, however it is intermittent. There is a large deck area with tables and chairs and also a wonderful pool with a view with sun loungers. Further away are more tables and chairs under a shade, and with beautiful views of the riverbed. For the fitness minded, there is a gym.
ABOUT THE SABI SANDS GAME RESERVE
The Sabi Sand Game Reserve shares 50km of unfenced boundary with Kruger National Park and animals are at liberty to go wherever they wish - but they tend to stay right where they are! This is because the Sand River and Sabi River supply much needed water in the dry season and create an eco-system with one of the highest and most bio-diverse wildlife populations in Southern Africa. This is the reason why it is quite possible to see the 'Big Five' (lion, leopard, rhinoceros, buffalo and elephant) as well as numerous other animals and birds in a couple of days, or even a couple of hours in Sabi Sand.
In door & out door lounge
Superior suites have outdoor en-suite showers
Take the N12 or N4 highway respectively to Witbank / eMalahleni (from Johannesburg Airport, follow signs to Boksburg to find the N12). Follow the N4 highway past Middleburg (Toll Plaza), Belfast / eMakhazeni and Machadodorp (Toll Plaza). Follow the Schoemanskloof option on the N4 towards Nelspruit / Mbombela. At Nelspruit / Mbombela, turn left onto the R40 to White River. In White River, at the first set of traffic lights in the town itself, turn left, following signs to Hazyview and Wildtuin / Kruger National Park. At the next set of traffic lights, turn right. Cross over the next set of traffic lights and then at the final set, with a Caltex garage on your right, turn left on the R40 for Hazyview (the R538, via the Numbi Gate, is a busy road and not recommended). After approximately 45 km, you will go down a steep hill towards a T-junction. Turn left, staying on the R40 and drive towards Hazyview and follow as per the below.
Proceed through Hazyview until you reach a set of traffic lights with a thatched shopping centre on the corner. Turn here onto the Paul Kruger Road which will be signposted Kruger Gate and the R536. Continue along this road for approximately 34.5 km and on the left-hand side of the road, you will see lodge signboards for various lodges including Inyati, Idube, Exeter and Savanna. Go past these, and approximately 3 km further on, on the left-hand side of the road, you will see signposts for the private game reserves of MalaMala, Sabi Sabi and Londolozi. Turn left here onto the gravel road.
Travel for approximately 8.5 km and you will get to the Sabi Sand Game Reserve Shaw’s Gate. For all visitors, there is a cash entrance fee payable of R50 per person (subject to change) to enter the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which is payable at the entrance gate. Self-drive visitors must ALSO pay a R190 per vehicle entrance fee, also payable in cash at the entrance gate. Please retain your receipt as proof of entrance and have it stamped at your destination when you are leaving, which acts as your Exit Permit. Once inside the gate, follow the signs to the lodge through the reserve. Allow between 30-50 minutes to drive from the gate to the lodge.
Do not get out of your car until you reach the lodge. You may see some wildlife on your way – if you do, slow down and maintain a good distance. Do not drive off-road in any circumstances.
FROM KRUGER MPUMALANGA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Turn right out of the airport onto the R538 and follow the signs to White River (Witrivier). Continue for approximately 12 km, until you reach the first set of traffic lights in White River, with the mosque on your left. Turn right and travel towards Hazyview on the R40. After approximately 45 km, you will go down a steep hill towards a T-junction. Turn left, staying on the R40 and follow the directions from Hazyview as above.
• All meals
• Teas & coffees
• Two game drives daily
• Optional bush walks (on request), Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a special discounted rate for single accommodation. , Children 12 years and older will pay the full adult rate.
• Children 5 to 11 years will pay 50% of the per person adult sharing rate., Children 5 years and older are allowed on Game Drives at the discretion of Lodge Management.
• No babysitting facilities., Game Viewing
• Bird Watching, Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking. .
• Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
NEW CONSERVATION LEVY AT UMKUMBE:
• Umkumbe Safari Lodge has implemented a new Conservation Levy of R 200 per person per night, applicable to all guests (adults & children), which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
• This new levy is due to the fact that the along with two other premiere lodges, they have formed their own Private Reserve within the Greater Kruger and Sabi- Sand Wildtuin.
• Guests visiting the newly formed Sabie Game Reserve will no longer have to pay a gate fee and will only be liable for the above mentioned Conservation Levy.